FLAS Undergraduate Awards
- Applicant must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Applicant must be enrolled in or admitted to a University of Utah program
- Applicant must be eligible to receive a University of Utah tuition scholarship
- Applicant must submit a 2023-2024 FAFSA application
$5,000 annual stipend, plus up to 16 credit hours of tuition each semester or a maximum
of $10,000 for the academic year, whichever is reached first.
- Register for a full undergraduate course load (12 up to a maximum of 16 credits/semester). All courses must be taken for a letter grade (A-E).
- Take one language course, for three or more credit hours, during both Fall and Spring semesters. Language courses must be taken at the second-year level or higher.
- Receive at least a "B" grade in the language courses both Fall and Spring semesters, and a GPA of 3.0 or higher in all courses.
- Take one area studies course, for three or more credit hours, during both Fall and Spring semesters. Students must receive at least a "B" grade in the course.
- Complete a report for the US Department of Education at the end of the fellowship period and at regular intervals after your fellowship ends (up to 8 years). Information will be sent to FLAS recipients at a later date.
- Complete a language pre-evaluation at the beginning of the award period and a language post-evaluation at the end of the award period. If awarded, FLAS fellows will receive additional information about the language evaluations.
- All study abroad funded through a FLAS fellowship must be approved by the FLAS advisor and the Department of Education prior to the award.
- FLAS funding cannot be used to pay for internships.
Failure to complete any of the above terms, or withdrawal from the program, will result in the student’s repayment of the award, or suspension from the fellowship. Student will receive written notification if the terms have not been met.