The Asian Studies Major is designed to provide students with language and cultural competence in a region of Asia (China, Japan, Korea, Russia, South Asia, and Southeast Asia) that can become the foundation for careers in public affairs, public service, business, and many other fields. Students are strongly encouraged to combine the Asian Studies Major with a major in another discipline so that upon graduation they have acquired a foundation of career-oriented skills as well as a high degree of global competency.
These degrees are designed to prepare our students to become global citizens, versed in the languages and cultures of the region, with the intellectual flexibility to combine area studies and professional competence, and cognizant of the complex linkages that define the profound relevance of Asia for the United States today. This is one of several Asian language and interdisciplinary programs at the university through which students can pursue undergraduate and graduate study with an Asia focus.
Our graduates have jobs in a wide variety of fields, from law, biological research, graphic design, and the computer industry to public service here and abroad as well as overseas entrepreneurship. Our graduates have also gone on to prestigious graduate programs at places such as UCLA, Columbia University, University of Washington, University of Oregon, Indiana University, and the University of Chicago.
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Asian language competency
- Effective research and presentation skills
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Ability to work with diverse populations
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Analysis of Ideas and Theories
- Translating and interpreting
- Effective adaptation skills
- Global Health
- Foreign Service
- International Sales/Business
- Tourism and Travel Industry
- Education/Language Services
- Public Administration
- Medical Professional
- International Law