Skip to content

Signature Experience

Signature Experience for Asian Studies Major

With a major in Asian Studies, students are required to earn 3 academic credits by completing a signature experience. Students can fulfill this requirement through studying abroad, interning in a related field, earning credit for a research project, or by completing a community-engaged learning (CEL) course. 

For any questions about opportunities or to talk through the process of deciding on a signature experience, make an appointment with an academic advisor. 

Study Abroad

Learning Abroad offers a variety of programs for fall, fall break, spring, and summer programs. Students can select from faculty-led programs, university exchanges, or affiliated programs Academic credit and funding are available for fall, spring, and summer semesters, with programs available across Asia. If you plan on applying for a summer language intensive program, consider applying for a FLAS Scholarship!

Next Steps 

  1. Attend a Learning Abroad 101
  2. Search through programs
  3. Research scholarships

Contact Information

Learning Abroad
Union, Room 159
(801) 581-5849


The Hinckley Institute offers internships locally, nationally, and globally, and funding is available for fall, spring, and summer semesters. Locally, there are opportunities with the Asian Chamber of Commerce and Asian Association of Utah. Across the globe, the Hinckley Institute sends students to various nonprofits, businesses, governments, think tanks, and NGOs. 

Next Steps 

  1. Search through internships
  2. Review the frequently asked questions
  3. Research scholarships

Contact Information

Hinckley Institute of Politics
Gardner Commons, Room 2018
(801) 581-8501


Conducting research is an excellent way to work closely with a faculty mentor, enhance your understanding of a topic, and clarify your academic and career goals. And there are numerous opportunities available. 

Next Steps  

  1. Speak with an Office of Undergraduate Research advisor 
  2. Join the research student listserv 
  3. Search for opportunities
  4. Attend a research workshop

Contact Information

Office of Undergraduate Research
Sill Center 005
(801) 581-8070 |

Community Engaged Learning

Whether you have a few minutes in between classes, an occasional hour on a Saturday morning, or time to engage every week, there are plenty of ways for you to get involved. Community Engaged Learning (CEL) courses can be a great way of using your language skills in the Salt Lake community. A frequented CEL course is SOC 4674: Global Health or CLCS 3960: Cultures in Contact. 

Next Steps

  1. Search CEL designated courses through campus schedule
  2. Register for a class
  3. Consider the Bennion Scholar Program 

Contact Information

Lowell Bennion Community Service Center
Union Room 101
(801) 581-4811

Last Updated: 11/4/21