Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Award
Academic Year 2017-18
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be enrolled in or admitted to a University of Utah program
- Be eligible for a University of Utah tuition scholarship
- Submit a 2017-2018 FAFSA application
$5,000 annual stipend, plus up to 16 credit hours of tuition each semester or a maximum of $10,000 for the year, whichever is reached first.
- Register for a full undergraduate course load (12-16 credits/semester). All courses must be taken for a letter grade.
- Take one language course, for three or more credits, during both Fall and Spring semesters. The language courses must be taken at the second-year level or higher.
- Receive at least a B in language courses both Fall and Spring semesters, and a GPA of 3.0 or higher in all courses.
- Take one area studies course, for three or more credits, during both Fall and Spring semesters. Students must receive at least a B grade in the course.
- Complete a report for the US Department of Education at the end of the fellowship period, and at regular intervals after your fellowship ends (up to 8 years). Information will be sent to FLAS recipients at a later date.
- Complete language assessment tests at the beginning and end of the FLAS year. One of these tests is the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview - please click here for more information. Information will be sent to FLAS recipients at a later date.
- All study abroad funded with FLAS money must be approved prior to award by the FLAS advisor and the Department of Education.
- FLAS money cannot be used to pay for internships.
Repayment or suspension:
Failure to complete any of the above terms or withdrawal from the program will result in the student’s repayment of the award, or suspension from the award mid-year. Student will receive written notification if the terms have not been met.