What is FLAS?
Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships are federally funded awards offered through the University of Utah's Asia Center. They provide funding for undergraduate and graduate students who study modern foreign languages and related area studies.
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- Applicant must be a current or incoming full-time student at the University of Utah.
- Undergraduate applicants must be at least at second-year proficiency of a less commonly taught language.
How much does FLAS provide?
- Undergraduate awards provide up to $10,000 in tuition and a $5,000 stipend for the academic year.
- Graduate awards provide up to $18,000 in tuition and a $15,000 stipend for the academic year.
- Summer awards provide up to $5,000 in tuition and a $2,500 stipend.
Who can apply for FLAS?
Undergraduate and graduate students from all majors and departments (except the School of Medicine) are encouraged to apply for FLAS. You do not have to be a language or area studies major to apply.
FLAS is awarded to a wide variety of students. Students from majors such as Economics, Communications, Linguistics, Environmental Studies, Asian Studies, Sociology, Engineering, Political Science and others have all received FLAS awards.
When and where can FLAS be used?
FLAS can be used for summer study abroad programs, semester study abroad programs, and study at the University of Utah.
All study abroad programs funded with FLAS money must be approved prior to award by the FLAS coordinator and the Department of Education.
When is the online application due?
The application is due on Friday, January 29, 2021 . This is the deadline for both Summer 2021 and Academic Year 2021-22 awards. Only one application is needed if you are applying for both awards. Please see the application page for complete details.
If I am awarded, what are the next steps?
Academic year awards: students must register for one language class and one area studies class each semester during the FLAS fellowship period.
Summer awards: students must enroll in a six-week (minimum) intensive language program.
Please see the undergraduate, graduate, and summer awards links for more details.
Please see Approved Languages for a complete list of FLAS eligible languages.