Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Award
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be eligible for a University of Utah tuition scholarship
- Submit a 2017-2018 FAFSA application
The FLAS Scholarship provides a $2,500 stipend plus up to $5,000 towards summer tuition.
Please note that the $5,000 will only count towards tuition and fees, and does not cover housing, travel, or meals which are often included in study abroad program costs. The stipend may be used to cover the costs not included in the tution portion of the scholarship.
- Register for a six-week (minimum) intensive language study program. A requirement of 140 contact hours (in-classroom instruction) for beginner and intermediate
level language instruction, or 120 hours at the advanced level must be met.
Keep in mind that the application process to the summer intensive language programs is separate from the FLAS application. Make sure to check their individual websites for information on their academic calendar, application deadlines and program costs. It is the students' responsibility to apply for admission to the summer intensive language programs.
- The summer course must teach the equivalent of one academic year of language study. One year of language study equals eight credits for students the beginner and intermediate language level or six credits for students at the advance language level.
- The credits taken must be transferable back to the University of Utah. It is the student's responsiblility to ensure that the program they intend to attend is regionally accredited. Students must meet with their home department before departure and get course approval for the classes they will be taking in the summer.
- Receive at least a B in language courses. The language courses must be taken at the second-year level or higher if you are an undergraduate student.
- Complete a report for the U.S. Department of Education at the end of the fellowship period, and at regular intervals after your fellowship ends (up to 8 years). Information on these reports will be sent to FLAS recipients at a later date.
- Complete two language assessment tests at the beginning and end of the FLAS summer fellowship. More information on these tests will be sent to FLAS Scholarship Recipients at a later date.
- You must book your flights using a U.S. carrier to receive a travel award.
Repayment or suspension of FLAS Award:
Failure to complete any of the above terms or withdrawal from the program will result in the student’s repayment of the full amount of the award. The student will receive written notification if the terms have not been met.